Basic Conversational English for Migrant Workers
NTUC LearningHub is proud to collaborate with Migrant Workers' Centre (MWC) for the development of Basic Conversational English for Foreign Workers to help and enable them to integrate into society and perform more efficiently at work. This course equips foreign workers in Singapore with Basic English conversational skills. They will learn to:
- Communicate using basic phrases and sentences to handle some difficult situations in everyday life;
- Read and write letters of the English alphabet and numbers, sight words and simple phrases;
- Handle routine duties that involve only basic oral communication in English to do their tasks
Teacher:Student Ratio is 1:25
Who Should Attend
This course is for foreign workers who work in Singapore
Certificate of Attendance or Certificate of Competence from Migrant Workers' Centre and NTUC LearningHub Pte Ltd
The course covers the following key skills of Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing in the English language:
- Understand and participate in limited conversation using memorized words, phrases and short sentences dealing with very familiar topics.
- Comprehend and follow basic instructions and procedures when given physical cues.
- dentify by name some familiar objects, people, events, family members, body parts, calendar dates, clothing, food and objects.
- Speak using limited vocabulary related to simple, elementary needs.
- Respond to very basic and familiar “who”, “what” and “where” questions with one word responses or sentence fragments in familiar contexts.
- Use basic words and phrases in social greetings such as “Hello”, “Good morning/ afternoon/evening”; “How are you?”, “Thank you”.
- Recognize increasing number of signs, symbols, labels and captions in the immediate environment.
- Recognize vocabulary that communicates some personal and survival needs.
- Recognize most upper and lower case letters of the alphabet in print.
- Recognize simple vocabulary and short phrases needed to respond to basic questions or to fill in forms such as name, age, telephone number, address, date, day and time.
- Comprehend and follow simple one- to two-steps written directions with given illustrations.
- Identify a few familiar objects, family members and basic household items
Trainers will use the following delivery methods to engage participants in learning:
- Role play
- Pair work, small group and large group work
- Listening exercises
- Activity-based exercises
For training conducted at NTUC LearningHub
For training conducted at
Price include GST
• The Course Fee Subsidy is only applicable for Non-Service sectors, (meaning excluding migrant workers in the Retail, Hotel and F&B sector) migrant workers (Work Permit Holders) working in Singapore or are union members or otherwise.
• Trainee must fulfill a minimum of 75% attendance for the course AND must attend the examination. Otherwise, full course fee will apply.
• Only Company Sponsered trainees will be entitled to funding.
For more enquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org